THE 1788 - 1820 PIONEER ASSOCIATION INC.

THE PEOPLE IN THE LIFE AND TIMES OF LACHLAN AND ELIZABETH MACQUARIE

John Parkes/Perkes/Sparks.

Born: 4th January 1767 at Halesowen, Worcestershire, England.
Arrived Sydney:
8th May 1798
.
Vessel:
Barwell.
Status: Convict, 7 years transportation.
Married: Margaret Southern/Sutherland
.
Occupation:
Died: c1839 at Parkes Camp, Cooks River
, N.S.W.
Buried: c1839 in N.S.W.
Father: Isaac Parkes.
Mother: Esther Dearn.

Profile:
Prior to the Macquarie era, the following children were born to John and Margaret:-
Mary Ann born. 9th November 1807 at Sydney.
Sarah born. 19th April 1809 at Sydney.

During the Macquarie era, the following children were born to John and
Margaret:-
John born 5th August 1810 at Sydney.
Ann(Nancy) born 12th May 1812 at Sydney.
Joseph born. 4th February 1814 at Petersham,N.S.W.
Esther born c.1815 at Petersham
James born c.1816 at Petersham.
William born 9th April 1818 at Petersham.
After the Macquarie era, the following children were born to John and Margaret:-

Isaac born 4th January 1823 at Petersham.
Elizabeth born c1824 at Cooks River, N.S.W.
Thomas born 11th March 1825 at Petersham.
Louisa born 2nd February 1827 at Petersham.

John Parkes was a convict transported on the Barwell in 1797 for seven years for stealing a great coat, called a beaver coat, worth sixteen shillings.  In 1803 he married Margaret Southern and during 1816 was granted 50 acres in the Botany Bay District.  On receipt of this grant, he crossed the Cooks River, looked around, and selected his 50 acres at the top of a ridge, surrounded by ironbarks and red mahogany trees. Once a crossing across the Cooks River was established the Parkes family could earn a good living as sawyers, cutting down the ironbarks and other eucalypts to supply Sydney with building timber and firewood.  The grant was known as Parkes’ Camp and is now the suburb of Earlwood N.S.W.

Reference:
A Register of Pioneer Families, Volume 1, Pages 368 to 378 published by The 1788-1820 Pioneer Association Inc. 1995
The Log Book, Journal of the Tweed Heads Historical Society Incorporated, March 2011, No. 94.
Census of New South Wales-November 1828.

Websites:
City of Canterbury
www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au

Disclaimer

To return to home page click here